Although a “lazy” day of not hiking, I still had a quite lot of things to do today.
I will be deliberately lazy about one thing, though: instead of prose, a bullet-point write-up of the day.
- I slept in a bit, though I didn’t get any extra sleep since I went to sleep far later than I intended last night.
- Breakfast was reheated leftover pizza. Yum!
- I took inventory of my remaining food (far too many snacks), and made my shopping list for resupply through Swift Run, PA.
- I went to the post office to mail home some stuff, including the Tuscarora Trail south half guide. Found that I had forgotten to bring my wallet.
- Went to the Dollar General to buy my resupply. Found this store didn’t take Apple Pay (unlike the last one I was at). Had to leave everything there, go back to my motel room, retrieve my wallet, and return to the store to pay.
- The nearby Subway was closed. Went to the Sheetz and got a chicken sandwich and milkshake.
- Ate lunch, then took a nap.
- Packed my food.
- Returned to the post office. Sent 10 oz of stuff home.
- Contacted the Tuscarora State Forest in PA, on recommendation from PATC’s Tuscarora North District Manager, to ensure there wouldn’t be any problems with a lumber salvage operation.
- Attempted to clear out my water filter with extensive backflushing. May have helped a little.
- Contacted a B&B in Boiling Springs and arranged for a room.
- Stretched out the hike from Boiling Springs to Harpers Ferry by a day to reduce the number of near-20 mile days.
- Got another pizza (and milkshake) for dinner.
No alarm for tomorrow, since checkout isn’t until 11 and I have a short day planned for tomorrow.